As the pandemic drags on, many of us are feeling like we’re stuck in a rut. The hours start to blend together, with the same routine day after day. If this sounds familiar, then now might be a great time to shake things up.
Getting out of our comfort zones can be intimidating and even a little scary (there’s a reason it’s called a comfort zone, after all). In uncertain and stressful times, it’s normal to retreat to what’s familiar and “safe.”
Fear of failure may be one of the biggest reasons we keep in our comfort zones. But by staying wrapped up in our cocoons of security, we can miss out on rewarding experiences that allow us to discover new talents, build resiliency, learn, and grow.
Bottom line: the benefits of getting out of your comfort zone often outweigh the fear and uncertainty. Challenging yourself to try something new is a great way to:
1. Tap into your talents. You have gifts and strengths you may not even realize. New experiences allow you to find, use, and strengthen them.
2. Learn from mistakes. Yes, you may fall on your face. And that’s okay. Those “failures” are valuable learning opportunities.
3. Improve your resiliency. You may encounter obstacles once you leave your comfort zone to explore unknown territory. Overcoming those obstacles helps prepare you for future challenges.
4. Practice embracing change. Life is full of surprises, and change. Trying new things helps you become more flexible and adaptable.
5. Have some fun. You don’t have to do something drastic to get out of your comfort zone. Whether you’re learning a new language or trying your hand at gourmet cooking or roller skating for the first time — even the smallest change can bring new meaning and joy to your life.
So go ahead, give it a try. What are you doing today to get out of your comfort zone?